Heat waves and your air conditioner...
How not to kill it!
Friday, June 03, 2022
Temperatures are starting to rise... remember last June, here in Leduc? We had a week of 30+ temps and if you didn't have air conditioning, I'll bet you were kicking yourself?
If you DO have a/c, these heat waves can be hard on a/c systems.
During this unusually hot weather, your a/c will run longer and cause wear and tear on the unit. While we can't predict when this will happen, we can be aware of what to expect from our a/c system, when it does.
- Don't shut if off! This will make your home get hotter and then, when you do turn the a/c on again, it will have to work even harder to cool it down. You can usually set it to cycle on and off to keep the temperature slightly warmer than you'd like but it will consume less energy and cause less stress to the components.
- Allow more time to cool your home down. Whether it's a heat wave or a milder day, turning your air conditioner way down won't make it work any faster. Plus, as the outside temperature goes down in the evening, if your setting is too low, your home will become excessively cold and waste energy. Just set you thermostat to your desired temperature and let it to cool at it's own pace.
- Make sure it's not frozen. Sometimes, if your air conditioner is running too much to keep up with the heat, the evaporator coil can freeze. If there is ice on the unit or it feels extremely cold, it may be frozen. If this happens, you'll have to turn off the fan for a while to thaw it out. Maybe go spend some time at the mall to stay cool. LOL
- Don't push it to the limit. A typical air conditioner will work to cool your home down by about 10 degrees less than outdoor temps. In a heat wave, when it gets up in the higher 30's, you can't expect your a/c to be able to keep up. Be patient and let it work it's magic without over doing it, which could make it freeze or break.
Hopefully, we won't get the extreme temperatures we had last summer. If it happens again, make sure your a/c will be up to the task of keeping you and your home cool. If you want Millenium to give it a check up, give us a call!
Tags: air conditioning cooling residential commercial industrial Leduc edmonton a/c maintenance quality service air conditioner repair service installation heat wave
Author: Millenium Mechanical
Millenium Mechanical helped us determine what our business needed and did the installation under budget. We are very happy with the outcome.
- Joe W. (Leduc)
Helped us stay cool in our home!
Our house needed an air conditioner to cool us down. Millenium Mechanical installed what we needed and did it quickly. We are so grateful and look forward to the hot days now!
- Lloyd G. (Leduc, Alberta)
"A 'best for the airport' approach."
They most recently redesigned our aircraft lavatory dumping facility to address our heating concerns. This facility, with its high gaseous presence is now running at optimum performance. They take a 'best for the airport' approach and offer advice and solutions that gain efficiencies in both financial and people resources. Our tenants and restaurants have also retained their services for all their plumbing and HVAC needs.
- Blaine P., EIA (Leduc, AB)
“Consistently met or exceeded our expectations.”
I have worked with Chad for five years and have known him to be very competent and reliable. He handles his business in a very professional manner. Under his direction, work completed by Millenium has consistently met or exceeded our expectations. I trust their recommendations and opinions.
- Anonymous (Edmonton, AB)
I would like to express my appreciation for the outstanding service Millenium continues to provide Edmonton Airports Commercial Development division. Your attention to detail has been remarkable with the final product always top quality.
- Daphne S., EIA (Leduc, AB)
“Never let us down.”
HMS Host has used Millenium for all it’s plumbing and refrigeration needs for over 12 years. Chad and his team are very knowledgeable and take the time for thorough explanations. They have never let us down. I would not hesitate to recommend Millenium Mechanical.
- Tamara L, HMS Host (Leduc, AB)
“Quality of workmanship was excellent.”
We recently worked with Millenium on the construction and start-up of a medium sized industrial pilot plant near Edmonton. Their on-site staff was professional and the quality of workmanship was excellent. They demonstrated an approach of problem solving throughout the process. We would certainly be pleased to work with them on future projects.
- Mick H., MGN (Edmonton, AB)
“I was quite impressed.”
We had a tour of a newly built industrial cannabis facility. I have visited several cannabis facilities, as well as pharmaceutical plants and I must say, I was quite impressed. The installation is, in my opinion, of the highest quality covering many operational details. I am confident in recommending Millenium.
- Normand B., Sanuvox (St. Laurent, QC)
"Totally recommend them."
Just had a issue with my On Demand hot water. Great service, great team. Totally recommend them.
- Darcy (Leduc, Alberta)