What Maintenance Is Needed for a Ductless System?
A ductless heating and cooling system, or a mini split, is a splendid choice for your Central Alberta home and a worthwhile investment. It offers many benefits, and you can enjoy them all for years to come if you maintain the system on a consistent basis.
As with any heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system, you need to protect your investment. By neglecting regular maintenance, you will shorten your system’s life span and greatly reduce how well it functions, as our Millenium Mechanical professionals witness quite often.
Beyond the Annual Wellness Exam
While you do need to schedule a regular cleaning and checkup for your unit with one of our Millenium Mechanical heating and cooling professionals at least once a year, there are some things you can regularly do on your own.
What Maintenance Can You Do on Your Own?
Before you begin, remember to turn off your system completely—both the indoor and outdoor components—and let them sit for about an hour. Be sure to also turn off the outdoor circuit switch to prevent electric shock.
Here are some do-it-yourself (DIY) tasks our Millenium Mechanical experts recommend:
- Check to be sure there is amply cleared space surrounding both the indoor and outdoor units. Each unit should have ample clearance of unobstructed space around it for appropriate airflow and proper operation.
- Clean both the indoor and outdoor units. For the indoor component, take a damp, soft cloth and wipe it down. Be sure to regularly dust the unit to avoid any significant buildup.
- For the outdoor unit, you will be cleaning the condenser and coils. After being sure the component and electricity are both off, gently squirt it down with your garden hose. Do not use a hose nozzle, as that can apply too much pressure and bend the fragile fins. Your goal is to rinse off any dirt or debris.
- If you maintain this task on a regular basis, it will be much easier to clean and will work more efficiently. After rinsing the unit, wipe off any leftover residual dirt and dry the unit completely, again taking care with the delicate fins.
- Remove the filter from your indoor component and clean it thoroughly. This should be done every six to twelve weeks. If you have allergies, pets, or smokers in your Alberta home, check and clean the filter more often. Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) agrees a well-maintained filtration system may have the greatest impact on your home’s indoor air quality (IAQ). Your filter is one of the most important parts of your ductless system, as it protects both your lungs and the rest of your Central Alberta system from dust and debris accumulation.
What Will a Professional Do?
There are definitely things our trained professionals will address that you as a homeowner should not. Some of the things checked at your annual maintenance appointment are refrigerant leaks, electrical connections, and run capacitors.
If anything needs repairing or replacing, our Millenium Mechanical professional will bring it to your attention. Talk to our team for more details on what we do during our maintenance visits.
Contact Us Today
Your ductless system will last for years to come when given the maintenance attention it needs. Call Millenium Mechanical here in Central Alberta, at 780-986-2108 or request service online today to schedule your appointment. Or if you are considering purchasing a ductless system, call and speak with one of our professionals about how we can help you.